by World Wide Ed on Thursday, January 14, 2010

It appears as though this is a common issue for many frustrated Android users out there, so I’m posting what I did – which actually worked! – in the hopes that it will help at least a few of you out.

A Little Background:
purchased the Droid on opening day, but never set up my Exchange email until recently (more than two months after the fact). Just never had the need really. After setting it up, it ran pretty smoothly for several weeks. I’ve (apparently) been fortunate enough to not run into the dreaded “The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.” error message… Until Now!

The Problem:
From what I’ve read, the root of the issue is a bug in the Email app/program related to unparsable email headers. When you get an email with such headers (which sorta explains why my email was working fine for a while), you will get the error message above.

The Non-Solutions:
– Killing the app (with programs like Advanced Task Killer Free) and restarting the app doesn’t work.
– Rebooting and restarting the app doesn’t work.
– Killing the app PLUS Rebooting and then restarting the app doesn’t work. Trust me, I’ve tried several times.
– Attempting to kill the app in “Manage applications” doesn’t work (well sorta) because it’s not readily listed and not easy to find (see solution below).

The Solution:
1 ) Go into your email from your desktop client and delete or file away (archive) the latest emails that you suspect may’ve started to cause this issue.
2 ) From your Android device, go to Settings.
3 ) Select Applications
4 ) Select Manage Applications
5 ) Hit your Menu option/button (the one with four lines usually between the Back/Return button and the Home button)
6 ) Select Filter
7 ) Select Running in the Filter Options pop-up menu.
8 ) Scroll down and select Email. (If it’s not in the list, you probably killed it. Go back and start it first and then return to step 1.)
9 ) In the Email app’s Application Info screen, press the Clear data button. (Be advised that this will essentially clear all of your account info from the Email app, causing you to have to re-set everything up again like your login name, password, server names, etc. The exact prompt says, “All of this application’s data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on.” Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean it will delete your emails on the server.)
10 ) Open up the Email app again and it will prompt you to set everything up again (log in name, password, servers, etc.). Walah! The error message should now be gone.

Some Linkage:
* Google Code string
* Motorola Support Forum string

Hope this helps y’all! Happy Droiding!

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Pavan.L February 11, 2012 at 8:36 am

Thank you… this worked for my also on my Galaxy – R

trislyn February 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Cant someone help get a email for facebook

Steve February 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hey guys
I have done all of the above and not working for me. If the problem is in a paticular e mail how did you find it.
Help please

Debra Mintz February 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I amhavn problem as we speak with the email has unexpectedly stopped dont kno what I supose 2 do.cant access my email Help me 2 restore my email upset an frustrated with out ot!!

lucy February 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm

how do i start it first step 8 cause it is gone i must have killed it

World Wide Ed February 29, 2012 at 7:19 pm

@Pavan.L no problem. Glad it helped!

World Wide Ed February 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

@trislyn I think you’re on the wrong “board”.

@Steve it’s usually best to jump on your desktop computer shortly after it happens. that way, you can usually trace which emails came in during that time period and delete or file them away.

@Debra Mintz have you tried the steps outlined?

@lucy Step 8 refers to your Email app. if it doesn’t show up, start it up first. you should be able to find it on your apps window.

jason March 6, 2012 at 4:40 am

this did not work for me. the clear data button is greyed out in my manage apps. i removed the 2 email accounts, 1 pop and 1 exchange, but the mail app still opens empty. when i click on add account, it crashes. i deleted all of my mail since yesterday through my mail client and it does not seem to matter. it grabs 0 mail headers like it’s not even trying. i guess i call verizon now and get nowhere with them.

SAM May 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Excellent !!! Its just worked cool….. Cleared the data, reconfigured the account…. Its working cool..

Thanks a lot 🙂

abbyregacho May 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

it doesnt work on my samsung galaxy Y.. i dont know what to do to make this android phone back to its original settings, ive tried everything i surfed in the intern about this matter..

ed May 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

awesome. worked great. thank you

yh May 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm

It worked for my galaxy s2! Thanks World Wide Ed! *thumbs up*

Step 1 is a tricky one. Coz i did the rest of the step without step1, it doesn’t work, as in the Email app still closed by itself.

So i’d to forward the 1st 5 emails ( those I received on the day when i started to have this error), to another pure webemail account. And deleted the 5 emails, and complete the rest of the steps to get it fix. Hope this helps someone.

World Wide Ed May 30, 2012 at 1:13 am

@SAM, @ed, and @yh glad to hear it. Enjoy!

@jason & @abbyregacho Sorry to hear it. Have you tried Step 1 before anything else?

Maureen June 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

thank you so much….I did not even have to delete the email account like the phone company said…..I just followed your steps and ta-daaaa

mail works again just fine – no error message – and I can actually sent mail again as well….

Thank you for your help…..I appreciate it.

You should post this on facebook and all those other places because a lot of people in the comments section said they could not get to it….I found it and had to fight my way through the error messages but when I finally got to the apps manage page and cleared…all I had to do was let it re-download the mail…..

Fonzi July 9, 2012 at 5:27 am

A real great hint solving the problem right away! !! Clearing the e-mail program settings was enough. Thanks a lot.

eldad July 27, 2012 at 11:59 am

hi!
tried it all, not working for me… i use a galaxy s2. in my specific case there is another complication though-just before the mail app. message comes a similar message about the Social Hub application (¨The application Social Hub (process com.sec.android.socialhub) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again¨). when i force closing it, the message of the mail app. appears. after doing all you wrote, only half the mails (weeks 3 &4 of the last month) are synced, and none of the contacts and calender events are synced, even though in the defenitions/settings menu it shows the sync is done and there are no error messages there. also when i try to go to the mail app. i see the inbox (weeks 3 &4 of the last month) and i can click on a mail and see it, but afer that the app. closes and gives that error message again. same message happens if i press the ¨back¨button.
any ideas?
with thanks in advance and blessings of peace, love and harmony
Eldad

eldad July 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Regarding my above comment – nothing helped, so i had to do a hard reset. it worked wonderfully. of course dont forget to backup all info, and if you want also make a list of all your applications becuase everything goes away… here´s a guide for hard resetting the device: http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-i9100-galaxy-s2-hard-reset.html

Kevin August 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Great advice, but I found that if you are attempting to clear the email account while it is active it will time out and quit before you can accomplish your goal. If you go to “All” on the menue at the top under “Manage Applications” you will find the e-mail application even if it is not active. From there you can follow your perfect advice and things will once again be hunky-dory. I read somewhere that if you exit or quit the email app while it is running, rather than backing out of it, can cause problems. I will have to experiment in order to prove that hypothesis.

sonny August 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm

not working o=in my galaxy y…i’ve tried the 10 steps already….

Jen September 17, 2012 at 8:28 am

I tried all the steps but the option to Clear Data is grayed out. Therefore, I’m still stuck.

Any ideas?

julia watson September 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

not rec no mail from tagged could you please resolved the promblem

kay November 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thankyou so much. After about 5 very long unsuccessful phone calls to orange and being told to switch my phone on an off again 15 times this has actually worked first time!! Very pleased!!

Geoff March 20, 2013 at 3:25 am

Outstanding. This worked. I actually did the order in reverse – cleared data and reset email, and then cleared out emails from day when the problem occurred. When I cleared data, nothing. But then after I trashed emails, problem solved.

Ron Ellis April 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

It worked for me… Thanks for taking the time to share this navigation aimed precisely at my desired end result! My android phone receives E-mail yet again…

AL July 31, 2013 at 12:54 pm

7/31/13
IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME. COULD NOT EVEN GET TO EMAIL PAGE TO DELE ANY. I DID A FACTORY RESET AND THAT TOOK CARE OF THE EMAIL PROBLEM. DID NOT LOSE ANY EMAIL BUT LOST APPS. NO PROBLEM THERE AND IT WAS WORTH IT. I ALSO SAVED MY SANITY. LOL

Stevie September 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

Brilliant fix, tried it just as you described and it worked first time, thanks again.

Melinda January 24, 2014 at 6:58 am

Thanks so much!! Worked perfectly.

Steven February 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

Thank you worked fine in 5 minutes.

Harold April 12, 2014 at 6:41 am